I love gifting things to friends over the holiday season- and WOW CHRISTMAS IS TWO WEEKS AWAY SO LET’S GET STARTED. It truly is a great time to be thankful for the people who are wonderful to you, and show them that love with a treat!
Over the next week, I will be featuring three easy DIYs that are not time consuming once you assemble the simple ingredients (maybe you already have them on hand!). While you can spice them up by adding extra components, the basic recipe is a delicious double cocoa hot chocolate mix that you can gift in small jars for the holidays.
Customize it with peanut butter chips for your peanut butter lover, add a crushed candy cane for peppermint hot cocoa, or a dash of cinnamon and cayenne for Mexican flavor. I bet espresso powder would be delicious if you wanted to go the mocha route. Just don’t forget to include the instructions after layering all your treats!
- ¼ cup dutch processed cocoa
- ⅛ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Marshmallows to fill the jar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Using a jar with a sealing lid, layer cocoa followed by a layer of white sugar. I used a spoon to drop everything in slowly so I wouldn't mess up the layers.
- Top those layers with the chocolate chips, and add mini or normal sized marshmallows to fill the jar. I was able to fit one full sized marshmallow.
- Seal the jar and tie a cinnamon stick to the outside with ribbon or twine.
- When gifting, include a tag for the recipient: Take the marshmallows off the top and set aside. Add the the jar contents and the cinnamon stick to a pan with 4 cups of milk. Stir the mixture until it is combined and hot and ladle into mugs. Top with marshmallows and enjoy!
I recommend these 5-ounce spice jars, as they are what I used in the photos below for the recipe.
When gifting, don’t forget to include a tag for the recipient so they know what to do!
Recommended script: Take the marshmallows off the top and set aside. Add the the jar contents and the cinnamon stick to a pan with 4 cups of milk. Stir the mixture until it is combined and hot and ladle into mugs. Top with marshmallows and enjoy!
Looking for more Edible DIY Gift Ideas?
- Candied Almonds: Put them into a jar and tie with ribbon or twine
- Maple Almond Butter: Delicious and nutritious nut butter, perfectly giftable
- Swirled Chocolate Bark: Use this as a base recipe for your favorite flavors, and break up into small pieces and set into a small gift box or cellophane bag with ribbon
- Spiced Pear Butter: Use seasonal pears or apples to make a delicious butter for gifting (note: this is perishable and must be refrigerated)
- Pumpkin Carrot Bread: Wrap in brown paper and tie with twine (note: this must be consumed within 4 days)
- Oatmeal Cranberry Pecan Cookies: Combine all dry ingredients in a jar with a note to add egg, butter, oil, vanilla, and hot water + baking instructions
Note: This post contains affiliate links.