Costco is a place that I can only be allowed in on occasion- I am known to come home with crates of clementines or avocados that can’t be eaten by two people, or some type of interesting looking freezer item that won’t actually fit in our tiny freezer.
One of the best investments I have made at Costco is the giant bag of in-shell pistachio nuts, for snacking and several recipes. We keep a constant supply of these pistachios on the coffee table in our apartment, in a quart sized mason jar (way better for you than a candy bowl- I can’t be trusted with something like that). They are meaty and perfectly salty when the need to snack hits me. Noah and I are known for leaving a pile of shared shells next to my laptop while watching Netflix in the living room.
Nuts are an important part of every diet, and I find pistachios to be an addicting snack (as long as I don’t get a stubborn shell!).
This pairing of snack flavors, while seemingly indulgent with the chocolate and coconut, savory with the pistachio meat, and tropical flavor, is a snack when you need some energy in the afternoon and want to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cored pineapple, sliced into half moon shapes
- ¼ cup coconut chips
- Salt to taste
- Put semi-sweet chocolate chips in a bowl in the microwave until half melted, about 20 seconds, and then take them out and stir until completely melted.
- Cut cored pineapple into half moon shapes and pat them dry on paper towels.
- Dip pineapple partially in the warm chocolate.
- Let them set on parchment paper in the fridge for 2 hours until completely firm.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Bake coconut flakes for 6 minutes on a baking sheet.
- They should be toasted after 6 minutes but watch them closely to avoid burning them.
- Let them cool completely and sprinkle with salt if you'd like.
Let’s get crackin. They’re addicting.