I missed out on the sun here in Denver this weekend, as I was enjoying the snowy backdrop of Aspen (I know, poor me).
But after a weekend of wearing multiple layers and relying on coffee for warmth, after weeks of wearing boots to work and changing into flats at my desk, I am ready for warmer weather.
What better way to escape than to dream of California’s sunshine? I envy those of you flaunting your short sleeved shirts at this time of year. Enjoy this easy and delicious sandwich with a tall glass of lemon water, and make sure to blast the heat so you too can sit in a tank top and shorts. It’s only fair. As long as I’m under the illusion that it’s warm somewhere, I can make it through to May. Hopefully.
Creamy avocados, crisp sprouts, ripe tomatoes, and meaty tofu were just what I needed to get me through yesterday’s Monday holiday. I made the mistake of trying to get into Trader Joe’s on my way home from the mountain early afternoon, forgetting that everyone else had the day off too- and the parking lot ressembled a mosh pit at a heavy metal concert. My car made it out alive and I decided to wait until later this week to do my much needed TJ shopping.
- 2 small whole wheat pitas
- ½ ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 vine ripened tomato
- ½ cup alfalfa sprouts
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces baked/grilled firm tofu, sliced
- Handful of fresh lettuce
- Warm your pita bread in the microwave for 5 seconds, and then slice them in half in order to open up the pita 'pockets.'
- Mash avocado with lemon juice, and spread on the inside of each pita half.
- Stuff the pitas with sliced tomato, mozzarella, tofu, and top with alfalfa sprouts and lettuce.
- Enjoy immediately.
How long until I can get my tomatoes from the farmers’ market again?