No surprise, but a wonderfully sunny few days in Colorado were followed by more snow and chill in the mornings. I know you all are on the same page in having trouble getting up in the dark mornings that accompany daylight savings, but I am actually quite pleased to now have sunlight until 7 PM again. Hello, after dinner walks around Cheesman Park and potential recipe photo shoots on weekday evenings again! It is a big deal for me, and a huge hint that spring is on its way (after more snow…).
I made this delicious smoked trout salad with avocado, cucumber, and a blackberry vinaigrette during our 70 degree day, before romping around outside and playing disc golf for the first time. It was the perfect contrast of salty smoked fish against the sweet and tangy dressing (easy to make by using your favorite fruit jam), with creamy avocado and crunchy cucumber. Side note: Are any of you good with a frisbee? I think my hand-eye coordination needs some work. It’s been awhile since I played lacrosse, the only sport I ever did that required throwing stuff.
- 4 cups spring mix lettuce
- ¼ avocado, sliced thinly
- ¼ cucumber, deseeded and sliced
- 4 oz smoked trout or salmon
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons blackberry jam
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Split the spring mix between two large plates and top with sliced avocado and cucumber.
- If you are using the smoked trout or another fish out of a can, be sure to drain the oil off completely before breaking it up to top this salad.
- In a small jar, combine the lemon juice, blackberry jam, and olive oil. Shake it up all together and be sure to break up any jammy clumps.
- Adjust to taste and drizzle over the salad with salt and pepper.
Serve the salad with with thick seedy bread slices (which are also great drizzled with the dressing).
We are ready for you, spring!