If only I could love every meal as much as I love breakfast.
As you all know from my rants about oatmeal, I seem to get stuck in a rut where I just make sweet versions of the traditional standby: green tea oatmeal, oatmeal cookie breakfast smoothies, and crockpot steel-cut oatmeal with apples.
Not until now had I experimented with taking my favorite breakfast savory!
- 2 cups milk of choice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry steel-cut oats
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt or Herbamere
- 4 eggs
- ½ pint grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- In a pot on the stove, bring milk and water to a boil over high heat. Add steel-cut oats and return to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir ever couple of minutes- it should barely bubble. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the oats are tender and creamy but still have a bit of a bite.
- Chop the spinach a bit and add it to the pot along with the sea salt or Herbamere. Give everything a stir and let the spinach wilt for a few minutes while you prepare the eggs.
- Fry your eggs to your liking and slice up the grape tomatoes.
- Assemble bowls by portioning ¼ of the oat mixture into a bowl, topping it with a fried egg, sliced tomatoes, and a sprinkle of hemp hearts.
To no surprise, I loved this combination just as much (dare I say more?) than my normal boring bowl of oats.
The toppings took the savory bowl over the top – wilted spinach, juicy tomato, and a perfectly salted fried egg with a sprinkle of hemp seeds for more texture.
So what you do you say? Are you up for taking that boring oatmeal to the next level?