Pico de Gallo, also known as Salsa Fresca, is the perfect fresh combination of chopped tomato, onion, and jalapeño. I make this all the time as a low-calorie way to jazz up a boring meal: it’s great to keep in the fridge for the week for topping anything and everything. As summer tomatoes are peaking and deliciously juicy, use them as an excuse to whip up this salsa to share with friends over tortilla chips or as part of your meal prep for the week.
On Wednesday, I will be sharing a new Mexican-inspired recipe that you can serve this on top of. In the meantime, here are some of my favorite meals to jazz up with a scoop of this flavorful, simple salsa:
- Chopped Mexican Salad
- Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls
- Black Bean & Spinach Baked Taquitos
- Quinoa Tofu Tacos
- Spanish Cheese & Zucchini Quesadillas
- …. Or just your average bag of tortilla chips because it’s that good.
- 1 yellow onion
- 6 Roma tomatoes
- 1 cup cilantro
- ½ jalapeño
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- Chop the onion and tomatoes. Mince the jalapeño (without the seeds unless you enjoy a spicier pico), garlic, and cilantro.
- Combine the ingredients with the juice of a lime and salt to taste.
- Enjoy immediately or let it marinate together in the fridge for 2 hours or longer for a tastier Pico de Gallo. This recipe makes 4 cups.
This recipe is easy to pull together if you have the few simple ingredients, and you can also customize it further. Want more spice? Add more jalapeño or a dash of hot sauce, and sprinkle with chili powder. Want some sweetness? Add chopped melon or some avocado, similar to my Pineapple Avocado Salsa. Make it your own!