Today is a sad day: my first day back at work after 3 weeks of glorious vacation. I know you’ve had the feeling of coming off an incredible adventure high, back down to normalcy and the daily grind. It’s somewhat depressing.
Today is going to be a long day for me, so the thought of coming home and whipping up a fancy meal is not appealing. This Healthy Veggie Fried Rice though? Yes please. Brown rice and scrambled egg and the most veggies I can fit into a pan is a great welcome home and a reminder that I will make it through this week.
- ½ cup diced white onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced broccoli stems
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ inch piece of ginger
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped snap peas
- 1 cup packed chopped kale
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon rice vinegar
- Optional ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 eggs + ¼ cup egg whites
- Garnish with green onion
- Dice your onion, carrot, and broccoli stems. Heat a large pan with oil and sautee them for 5 minutes on medium heat until softened and the onions are almost translucent.
- Mince the garlic and ginger into the pan and cook for another minute while you chop the kale and snap peas.
- Add the frozen peas, snap peas, and kale to the pan with the cooked brown rice. Stir for a a couple minutes until the kale wilts and turn the heat down to low.
- Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil to the pan. Let it cook on low for a few minutes together, stirring every 30 seconds or so to avoid anything sticking to the pan.
- In a separate pan, quickly scramble the eggs and egg whites until almost set. Add them to the fried rice.
- Once the egg is combined into the fried rice, taste and add another dash of soy sauce if it is not salty enough for your taste. Serve the fried rice hot with a garnish of chopped green onion.
One of the best discoveries I made while whipping up this dish was how tasty broccoli stems are when diced and sautéed – Noah and I eat a lot of broccoli for an easy side, and I now save them up to make this healthy veggie fried rice.
I love using leftover rice from another meal for this, but frozen pre-made rice is a great whole food swap if you need the convenience.
Coming down off of my vacation high isn’t so bad with this delicious bowl of perfectly crisp sautéed veggies, pillowy eggs, and salty brown rice.
Once I recover from jet lag, I’m going to try to remake you guys some of my favorite dishes from my travels!