This is the time of year that I especially love to pull out my slow cooker. Easy, hot dinner awaiting me when I get home? Yes please.
This Hearty Slow Cooker Lentil Chili fits the bill for the chillier days we have coming up in the next few months. I confess that I keep my down twin-sized comforter from college in my living room for cold days when I need a snuggle on the couch but can’t yet move into my bed (well, at least not before 9 PM…).
While I spend my late afternoons curled up in the fetal position with this comforter, a mug of tea, and a book, I hope to always have a batch of something delicious like this lentil chili around so dinner isn’t a mess.
If you don’t own a slow cooker – let me give you this last little push by parading photos of this delectable recipe. And a reminder: the cheapo ones (like the one I have) are $20 at Target.
And I have a whole archive of slow cooker recipes here!
- 1 cup dry green lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 jalapeño
- 2 red or green peppers
- 2 15-ounce cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans
- 1 15-ounce can dark red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 cup medium salsa
- Garnishes: vegan sour cream, cilantro, fresh tomato, avocado
- Chop onion and red/green peppers. Drain and rinse the pinto and dark red kidney beans. Remove the ribs and seeds of the jalapeño and mince.
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker in order listed above on the ingredient list, starting with the lentils.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low 8-10 hours. Leave the chili on the warm setting of your slow cooker until ready to serve, or chill and freeze in portions.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings!
We also had a spread of grated sharp cheddar (gotta give it to the non-vegans who put up with my cornbread antics), fresh cilantro, avocado, crushed tortilla chips, slices of lime, and hot sauce. The works. I recommend it all.
So what are you waiting for? Break out the slow cooker for the season with this filling, flavorful chili.