I received free samples of Libby’s new Vegetable Pouches mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Libby’s and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
With fall and winter come lots of get-togethers. I am always stumped when thinking about what to bring that will match the rest of the food at a party. In a time crunch, I want something easy that I can put together from items I have in my pantry in less than 10 minutes. An appetizer is always a safe bet, but I love to mix up the traditional hummus and veggie plate with some special touches.
I made this Green Pea Hummus with Libby’s new Sweet Pea Vegetable Pouch, a time-saving solution for healthier meals. Not only are these packages microwavable and easier to open than canned veggies, but the pouch packaging uses 75% less energy to produce versus a can.
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas
- 1 13 ounce Libby's Sweet Pea Vegetable Pouch
- ¼ cup tahini
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Mince garlic cloves in the food processor or by hand. Add to food processor with lemon juice.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and sweet peas.
- Add the chickpeas and the peas to the food processor with the tahini. Begin processing for 30 seconds or so and then begin drizzling in olive oil and water. Blend until smooth.
- Add salt and blend until combined. Add water one tablespoon at a time to thin the consistency of the hummus if desired.
- Taste and adjust salt as necessary.
Not only did I sneak some additional legumes into my traditional hummus recipe, I served this hummus with tortilla chips, sliced carrots, and celery. It’s the perfect plate packed with vegetables to munch on when surrounded with holiday foods.
The hummus is creamy and a touch sweet thanks to the peas – without a large amount of oil like traditional hummus recipes. Check out some of my other flavored humus recipes for more quick inspiration: edamame hummus, cilantro hummus, and meyer lemon hummus!
Libby’s Vegetable Pouches are rolling out in select Walmart stores this fall, and will be available nationally in January 2015. On time crunched days when I’m out of fresh veggies and can’t get to the store, I like that these shelf-stable and microwaveable pouches get vegetables to the table in less than one minute.
[inlinkz_linkup id=452626 mode=1]