These Collard Green Sushi Wraps are the perfect savory snack or meal to quell your sushi craving: fresh tofu, crunchy carrots, salty rice, creamy avocado and tangy feta!
I must have a thing for making sushi in nontraditional ways- these collard green wraps are just as delicious as my Veggie Sushi Bowls, if not better because they’re portable!
Lately, I have been focusing on having savory snacks or whole fruit instead of sweet midday snacks- something that has helped me cut back on my sweet tooth and reduce added sugar.
Greek yogurts (that I was paying at least $1 for) have been replaced by hummus and raw veggies, oranges, and little ideas like this wrap. Not only am I satisfied, but I feel like I’m eating a much bigger wholesome snack.
- 2 large collard greens
- ¼ of a package of firm tofu
- 1 large carrot
- ½ avocado
- ½ cup brown rice, cooked
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- Prepare two collard green leaves by washing and drying them, and then running a knife horizontally along the stem. I cut the largest piece of the stem out using a upside-down V-shaped cut (see below).
- Slice up some fresh, drained tofu and dice a carrot into matchstick pieces. Slice the avocado.
- Mix the cooked brown rice with soy sauce.
- Divide the filling between two wraps, starting by placing cooked rice on the bottom in a small rectangular shape. Place the tofu, carrot, and avocado on top and sprinkle with feta.
- Fold the bottom part of the leaf (facing you) over the pile of filling, and then fold the sides in and roll the wrap like you would roll a burrito.
- Slice each wrap in half and enjoy!
The above picture gives an idea of how I sliced out the thick part of the stem.
Below, you can see that I made the pile of fillings right above where the stem was cut out. I then folded the two sections around the cut-out stem upwards and over the filling.
Let me know if you try out this simple snack recipe, that can be made a meal with an additional side or by enjoying the whole recipe instead of dividing into two portions.
I loved the creamy, crunchy, salty combination of everything together!
Cheers to healthier snacking!