Let’s get ready to emerge from winter and move into spring with big grins on our faces and lunch salads packed with colorful nutrition. I hope I’m not jumping the gun one month shy of the spring equinox.
These Hearty Rainbow Mason Jar Salads are perfect to prep for the week: packed with protein (quinoa, chickpeas, and edamame), crunchy veggies (radishes, orange peppers, and celery), juicy flavors (lemon, feta, and tomato), and some greens (check out this purple spinach!).
I didn’t get on board with lunch salads until I realized they could be filling. By using larger jars (one and a half pint jar size) and packing it with goodies beyond lettuce, I now look forward to flipping a jar upside down onto my plate at work.
- ½ cup dry red quinoa
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- 1 cup mini grape tomatoes
- 1 orange pepper
- 4 radishes
- 1 cup yellow chickpeas
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 cup diced celery
- 4 cups purple spinach
- Cook ½ cup dry quinoa per package instructions and let it cool. Toss the quinoa with the juice of one lemon, a tablespoon of olive oil, and crumbled feta. Set aside.
- Prep your salad ingredients by slicing the grape tomatoes, dicing the pepper and radishes, measuring out chickpeas and edamame, and dicing your celery.
- Assemble 4 mason jar salads with equal parts of the quinoa mixture on the bottom, followed by sliced grape tomatoes, diced orange pepper, diced radish, ¼ cup chickpeas, ¼ cup edamame, ¼ cup celery, and 1 cup of spinach.
- Refrigerate for up to 4 days in sealed containers. When serving, flip jar upside down above a plate or bowl to enjoy.
I can’t help but mention how gorgeous these look – so I’m tempted to grab them from the fridge on the way out the door to work, instead of the leftover Chinese noodles that I really don’t need to eat.
Just make sure you have your name on them: your coworkers will have salad envy!
Have you packed your lunch in a mason jar? I love the eco-friendly container, and since there is an airtight seal, I don’t worry about sliding it straight into my work bag!