The 3 Ingredient Pancake is something that has made its way into my life, quickly and seriously! Who knew 1 ripe large banana + 2 large eggs + 3 tablespoons of gluten-free flour could be so incredible and similar to a fluffy stack of pancakes?
Flavor variations are far and wide beyond the 1 banana + 2 egg + 3 tbsp flour staple recipe, and today I’m sharing one of my favorites: Almond Strawberry 3 Ingredient Pancakes (using almond flour, almond extract, and strawberries to top). The mashed banana makes them sweet enough that I don’t even use syrup!
See more details below the recipe for my other flavor combinations that I recommend. While I credit my friend Emily for the base recipe with 3 ingredients, I originally read about the magic of banana + egg pancakes here (I prefer the 3 ingredient version to the 2 ingredient though!).
- 1 large ripe banana
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2-4 sliced strawberries
- 2-4 chopped whole almonds
- 1 teaspoon almond butter
- Peel and mash a large banana in a bowl.
- Add in eggs, almond flour, almond extract, and cinnamon and whisk to combine. Let it sit for a few minutes.
- Preheat a small pan on medium, spraying well with cooking spray to avoid sticking.
- Add half the batter to the pan, spreading it a bit if necessary for even cooking. Cook for 3 minutes on 1 side. I use a spatula to to peek under it carefully to assess medium browning before flipping and cooking for a maximum of 1 minute on the other side. Set aside on a plate.
- Repeat cooking with the other half of the batter.
- Top the pancakes with sliced strawberries, chopped almonds, a dollop of almond butter.
This pancake is something I make at least once a weekend. Through experimentation, I have found some other great variations I like to rotate through for variety:
- Brown Rice Pancakes: Use brown rice flour instead of almond flour and vanilla extract instead of almond.
- Coconut Pancakes: Add in 2 tablespoons of unsweetened shredded coconut and sub vanilla extract before cooking.
- Banana Pancakes: Use a small or medium banana and reduce the other ingredients to 1 egg + 2 tablespoons flour, and vanilla extract. Add sliced banana on top.
- Lemon Pancakes: Top pancakes with a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
- Chai Pancakes: Use a dash of each warming spice (ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom) before cooking.
- Lower Calorie Option: Use egg whites in place of the eggs (or 1 and 1), and pile it high with fruit and spices instead of higher calorie nut butters.
- Get Creative! Use vanilla extract instead of almond extract, and top with a wider variety of toppings.
Have you tried the 2 Ingredient or 3 Ingredient Pancake? Be sure to let me know if you try this out and what flavor combinations you end up loving!