These Ginger Pistachio Energy Bites are a refreshing bite for on the go or post workout. With a neutral base of dates and cashews, the distinctive flavor of pistachio pairs nicely with the sweet yet spicy crystallized ginger.
It’s been awhile since we’ve seen an energy bite around here!
I have to admit something serious to you all: my taste buds have been changing. It happens every 7 years (did you know that?)!
We’ve talked about how I’m rediscovering cherries, celery, and spicy foods – but the list keeps growing. I now also like beer, and fermented stuff like kombucha + all the pickled vegetables.
Disclosure: I received a sample pack of NOW Foods products to make this recipe, but was not paid to write this post or host a giveaway.
One of the fun new flavors I’m playing with is spicy, spicy ginger!
These bites are the lovechild of my desire to play with the crystallized version, an intense sweet bite with lots of kick. They aren’t as sweet as some of my favorite other energy bites (chocolate chip cookie dough, cinnamon raisin peanut butter), which is a welcome change too.
Just a fun zip with the ginger and unique pistachio flavor, with cashews and dates to hold it all together and keep it delish.
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ¾ cup shelled roasted pistachios
- ¼ cup crystallized ginger dices
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- Soak dates in hot water for 20 minutes if they are dry. Drain and pit before proceeding with the recipe.
- In a food processor or high speed blender, combine dates and cashews until a ball forms and there are no large chunks of either ingredient.
- Add ½ cup of shelled pistachios, the crystallized ginger, and ground flaxseed to the food processor. Turn it on (for about 30 seconds) or pulse the processor until the ingredients are mostly combined.
- Finely chop the additional ¼ cup shelled pistachios .
- Roll the mixture from the food processor into 18-20 medium sized balls (around 1" in diameter). Roll them in the chopped pistachio mixture and keep refrigerated or frozen until enjoying.