This Grilled Tofu Banh Mi Salad with Sriracha Greek Yogurt Dressing is a wonderful combination of spicy, grilled, cooling, and pickled flavors. Inspired by a Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwich, tofu and a Greek yogurt dressing lightens up the meal while holding true to the veggie-heavy cuisine.
Having a more relaxed schedule this summer has done wonders to me. I’m sitting here this Monday morning, writing up this recipe and editing photos, while drinking hot coffee and listening to the light rain coming down outside. This uprooted Oregonian is sure thankful for a 60 degree day of drizzles after a week of extra hot weather here in Denver.
I took full advantage of my favorite Colorado sights this weekend, while a good friend of mine – Emily – visited from California. We drove up into the mountains for an easy hike, went to the Boulder Farmers’ Market, explored the Cherry Creek Arts Festival, got Mexican food, my favorite happy hour pizza, made wonderful meals, sat at a kombucha taproom, and of course – frequented my favorite pho restaurant.
Vietnamese flavors never bore me, whether pho or noodle bowls or this Banh Mi sandwich that I decided to recreate into a salad.
Fresh herbs, crunchy vegetables, pickled things, and a lightly sweet and spicy dressing with a base of Greek yogurt make this meal of grilled tofu and salad incredible. It would be delicious with grilled chicken or grilled shrimp as well!
- 1 large carrot
- 1 Persian cucumber
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 package of firm tofu
- 1 red pepper
- 1 cup cilantro
- 4 green onions
- 8 cups baby kale
- Garnish of sesame seeds, pickled jalapeños
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons pickling liquid
- 2 teaspoons sriracha (or more to taste)
- Scoop out the seeds of the cucumber and slice the cucumber and carrot into matchsticks.
- Stir the apple cider vinegar, water, maple syrup, and salt together in a saucepan on medium heat on the stove until just boiling.
- Place the veggies in a clean jar and pour the hot mixture overtop. Allow the mixture to cool (about 10-15 minutes) before refrigerating until cold.
- Use immediately on the salad below, or within 1 week (keep refrigerated).
- Drain the tofu and slice it into 8 planks.
- Preheat the grill for 5 minutes, and then turn it off and clean it well using a grill brush (this will prevent the tofu from sticking, in the case that any food was left stuck to your grill).
- Generously oil the grates and turn the heat to medium on just one side of the grill, and place the tofu directly on the grates where it receives indirect heat (some direct heat is okay). Grill for 10 minutes on each side, rotating the tofu at the 5 minute mark for crosshatched grill marks. Remove from the grill.
- Slice your red pepper into matchsticks and roughly chop the cilantro. Dice the white and light green parts of your green onions.
- Assemble the salads with 2 cups of baby kale, pickled veggies, red pepper, cilantro, green onions, and 2 slices of grilled tofu. Garnish with sesame seeds and pickled jalapeños.
- Whisk together Greek yogurt, pickling liquid (from the jar of pickled veggies), and sriracha. Adjust heat to taste and drizzle overtop salads or refrigerate until serving time.
And for a behind the scenes picture that makes me crack up when I zoom out… sometimes you gotta work with the light available (this is out on my front porch).
After this photo, I promptly sat down on the ledge and enjoyed my salad in the sunshine. Don’t mind my untied slippers 🙂
Let’s make this week a good one!