Baked Meatballs in Tomato Sauce is a one pot dish perfect for serving with your favorite noodles, julienned vegetables, steamed kale or quinoa.
I love meatballs, and have made my Baked Turkey Meatballs more times that I can count to serve on top of my Homemade Tomato Sauce with pasta or zucchini noodles.
There’s nothing better than a comforting meal of meatballs and pasta.
For part of my Back To Basics January recipe series, I had an idea to combine the two processes into a one pot meal – and the outcome was fantastic! The beef meatballs bake in a simple seasoned tomato sauce.
This meal is hands off once you add the sauce to the pot and form the meatballs. Walk away for 45 minutes while the oven poaches the garlicky meatballs to perfection in tomato sauce – from just a few simple seasonings.
- 28 ounces peeled crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (96% lean or higher)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pasta and parmesan to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In an oven-safe pot with a lid (pictured is using a dutch oven), stir together crushed tomatoes, oregano, thyme, and the bay leaf.
- Mince garlic cloves (about 2 tablespoons-worth) and gently combine with ground beef and salt. Form into 16 meatballs with your hands, and place them into the tomato sauce. They should be about halfway covered.
- Cover the pot and bake for 45 minutes, or until meatballs are fully cooked. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
- Serve meatballs and sauce on top of pasta, and top with grated parmesan.
I hope this becomes a simple meal idea you can turn to when you’re looking for a simple comfort meal. I like to serve it with a side salad, or on top of massaged kale.
Let me know in the comments how you’ve started implementing Back To Basics January goals – maybe you tried a new recipe or grocery shopped ahead for the week? Maybe you are brewing coffee at home this week instead of a latte to go?
Kudos to all of you for your participation and don’t forget to use the hashtag #BackToBasicsJanuary on social media to win prizes starting on Friday.