This Lentil and Barley Soup Mix is a simple and budget-friendly edible DIY present for friends and family this holiday season. It’s easy to put together, and the red and green colors in the clear jar adds a festive touch. Gift it alongside a can of diced tomatoes and a bottle of wine for a warming winter meal.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Sprouts. I was compensated for my time, and all opinions are my own.
The holidays have crept up on me once again, and I thought I would share another idea in my Edible DIY gift series!
Today, I am sharing this super simple soup mix – packed with hearty lentils, barley and split peas – that many of your friends and family will be super grateful to receive, instead of another box of cookies.
This mix starts with a base of 2 colors of lentils, split peas and pearled barley (which cooks a bit quicker), and then lots of Italian seasoning, garlic, and flavor from broth cubes.
I found all of these dry ingredients at Sprouts, and I love that I can get the exact amount of lentils, barley or split peas I need from the bulk bins for a really great price.
Once it’s layered all pretty into the jar, it’s ready to be sealed up and gifted to a friend! I love how the red lentils and green split peas look in the jar. Add some ribbon or twine, and a small tag to write out the instructions for how to cook this Lentil and Barley Soup Mix:
Sauté an onion with oil in a large soup pot. Add contents of the jar, 1 can of diced tomatoes, and 8 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, covered. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Enjoy!
When the gift recipient is ready to make a batch of soup, all they need to do is grab an onion and a jar of diced tomatoes to get cooking!
- 16 ounce Mason jar
- ½ cup green lentils
- ½ cup red lentils
- ½ cup pearled barley
- ½ cup green split peas
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (equivalent to 4 total cups of stock)
- In a 16 ounce Mason jar, layer green lentils, red lentils, pearled barley, green split peas, seasonings and vegetable bouillon cubes.
- Screw on the lid and attach instructions for cooking (see below). Gift alongside a can of diced tomatoes and a bottle of wine, if desired.
- Instructions for Cooking: “Sauté an onion with oil in a large soup pot. Add contents of the jar, 1 can of diced tomatoes, and 8 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, covered. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Enjoy!”
Do you enjoy making edible DIY gifts? What do you make for friends and family?